Saturday, January 10, 2009

Economic Downturn....

The economic downturn and slowing economy hit close to home this week.  I was laid-off from my job on Saturday. Tuesday, I visited the unemployment office. I was told I would be eligible to receive $230 a week. Hardly enough to be able to live on Maui. I need to make that much per day! Needless to say, it was a major blow and I began to feel regret and doubt about the decisions and choices I have made over the past couple of years. How could I have been so foolish to follow my dream and passion of being a photographer?

An hour later despair had begun to set in. I bought a sandwich and wandered into the local bookstore and sat down in the coffee shop to eat. My head was spinning. I sat there feeling about as low as I can remember. After all I have worked for and been through, I wondered if I could face this financial and personal challenge staring at me.

Then, at my lowest moment and feeling a deep dread, over the sound system I heard…

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They’re really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They’ll learn much more than I’ll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world

A sense of relief washed over me. In that moment, in this week, I was left with no doubt that there is a life beyond what we experience in this body on this planet.

The song was my dad’s favorite and the one he insisted be played at his funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment